Review: Glastonbury Festival 2013 – Saturday

0

Part two of The Edge’s Glastonbury Festival review is here! Featuring varying opinions of big name acts as well as those smaller, up and coming acts that begin their journey at Worthy Farm. The Saturday was a day full of fantastic music finishing with The Rolling Stones. You can read part one, a summary of Thursday and Friday’s music hereEnjoy!

Claire – Waking up to a hangover and a full portaloo, what better way to forget those smells than some acoustic sounds from Mercury nominated Portico Quartet member Nick Mulvey. Playing tracks from his previous EP ‘The Trellis’, and latest Radio 1 played single ‘Fever To The Form’, he serenaded us while we ate overpriced bacon sarnies and as a special dessert treat, a cover of Olive’s trance classic ‘You’re Not Alone’.

Grace – I only managed to catch a bit of The Staves set but what I did see was completely engaging. As a new comer to the band I was blown away by the ease with which these girls sang in harmony. They had a folky, whimsical charm that was perfect for easing me back into reality after the madness of Friday.

AmyThe 1975 were definitely a highlight of Saturday for me. With boundless enthusiasm and energy, they owned the midday slot at The Other Stage, rousing a dance out of the tired crowd. Their efforts are gladly becoming more recognised, and I’d go and see this band play live again in a heartbeat.

EmmaLaura Mvula had a beautiful presence on stage. Big smile, statement white frock and powerful unique voice yet, some of her tracks were weaker than others and it was easy to lose interest at those points. An undeniable talent but worthy of The Pyramid Stage already? I am unsure.

MeganDry The River have quickly become one of my favourite bands over this last year, so to see them perform a completely flawless set on The Other Stage was heart-warming. Their unique blend of folk-rock enticed the whole crowd as we stood in awe of Peter Liddle’s stunning vocals. The band are going from strength to strength and the new tracks they played made me excited for album number two.

Grace – Now shoot me down in flames but I’ll admit I’m not actually a Ben Howard fan. I’ve always been on the fence about his music but seeing him live has definitely changed my mind. What for me usually sounds dreary and boring had a new lease of life injected into it when played live. He left me with no doubt about his musical talent and has made me reconsider my opinion of him.

gf806_zps064ea058Megan – My initial obsession with Azealia Banks has slowly declined over the past 6 months as she has become less and less interesting. However, her performance on The Other Stage showed me the entire opposite. She rattled through tracks, mainly from her Fantasea mixtape, with ease but it was her general stage presence that meant for a fantastic show. Oh, and the absolutely outstanding outfit she was wearing.

Amy – I’m a huge Noah and the Whale fan , so I knew they wouldn’t disappoint, and sitting on the (not quite) grass in the evening sun was a chilled way to wind down a scorching afternoon.

Claire – Back at the West Holts Stage, Toronto’s BADBADNOTGOOD put on a full throttle improvised percussion explosion. Though hampered by technical issues throughout they satisfied their audience, which has to be nominated for most hipster of the festival and even got them to groove despite the searing hot temperatures. Not an easy feat.

CatElvis Costello performed his moody 80’s pop to a distinctly older audience, playing classics such as ‘Oliver’s Army’ and ‘Pump It Up’. Perhaps not a mind-blowing set, but Elvis’ distinctive voice stood up to the fast pace of many of his tracks; he’s not past it yet.

Grace – This year I was determined to make sure I encountered as much new music as possible. Glastonbury provides such a rich tapestry of artists that it would be foolish not to. Upon recommendations from my friends I decided to sample the delights of Spanish musician Devendra Ban Hart. His style was completely unique. He made full use of the instrument of his voice, with experimental sounds.

Megan – Staying on The Other Stage all of Saturday afternoon was a choice well made, especially as Alabama Shakes performed. Front woman Brittany Howard stole my heart. Her passion is unrivaled as she belted out songs from their back catalogue. You know you’ve seen a good performance when the hit singles aren’t stand out, each song was an emotion-fuelled masterpiece and definitely worthy of The Other Stage.

MeganTwo Door Cinema Club never disappoint and this year’s step up to a later slot on The Other Stage is analogous of their progression. This being the fifth time seeing the Northern Irish trio they performed with an experienced grace that highlighted their perfecting of the live show. Front man Alex Trimble carries so much charisma nowadays that you can hardly recognise the shy frontman of five years ago.

Amy – There’s something about Newton Faulkner and his ginger dreadlocks which ensures his mere presence brought a smile to every person in the Avalon Tent. His prowess on guitar is second to none drawing admiration from all sides. I particularly enjoyed his cover versions, interspersed throughout his set. Who else can pull off Massive Attack’s ‘Teardrop’, M.I.A’s ‘Paper Planes’ and Queen’s ‘Bohemian Rhapsody’, armed only with a guitar and a tent full of willing vocalists? Newton Faulkner can.

EmmaMajor Lazer’s set boasted non-stop energy throughout. From throwing out bright yellow horns to running on plastic balls across the crowd and even inviting people to dance on stage. The most entertaining act I saw all weekend. Truly special.

GlastoSat2013Andrew-2750_zps99956fd9Grace – Seriously what can I say about The Rolling Stones? Its no exaggeration to say that their headline set was a huge event in music history. They attracted crowds of all ages. The young and the old sang along to every single word. Accompanied by a stellar backing band, The Rolling Stones were in a class of their own. Despite the wrinkles the Stones defied their age with a ridiculously energetic set. Okay so I know he’s 70, I know its wrong but I’m just gonna come out and say it anyway. I fancy Mick Jagger. All you’ve got to do is squint your eyes and his wrinkles disappear. Problem solved.

EmmaChase and Status were a great alternative to the stones for those that weren’t too fussed. With all the contributors to their most famous tracks making an appearance it was one hell of a show.

You can read part one, a summary of Thursday and Friday’s music here. Keep your eyes peeled for the third and final part of The Edge’s Glastonbury review coming soon!

Hi I'm Grace I risk sounding disgustingly cliched but I cannot remember a time when music wasn't part of my life. I love going to gigs and have been known to dabble in a bit of gigging and song writing myself.

Elo elo elo